My research interests have broadened over the years. Starting previously from comparative Corporate Governance research between Japan and Germany, I became interested more and more in many aspects of International Business. Speaking in this sense, I am interested in whatever comes into Japan, whether it is people, money or products. Therefore, my research area covers the following four areas:
- Corporate Governance : especially research on board room issues
- Human Resource Management: especially expatriates and leadership issues
- Marketing: especially foreign firms coming to Japan, cross country and multi country research
- Finance: especially M&A research, banking issues
Research related lectures
Elected Professor for teaching at Kobe University at the MBA program, Teaching SESAMI program since 2013: Advanced International Business.
From 2010 until 2012 Ordinary lecture at PhD and Master level at Business Faculty of Kobe Univesity: International Business.
From 2005 to 2009 Ordinary lecture: Oushuukeizairon (Theory of European Economics and Business). These lectures for 5 consecutive years were deliverd completely in Japanese language.
Long term guest professorships in Japan:
- Specially appointed professor at Kyoto university
- Ritsumeikan University (from 2009 until 2019): International Business (in English)
- Osaka University of Economics (from 2015 until today, 2019) Mergers and Acquisitions (in Japanese language, click here: (Lecture Plan 2017)
- Ryukoku University: International Business (in Japanese)
- Konan University (from 2006 until 2015 about Corporate Governance and M&A,
Long term guest professorships and invitations to universities in other countries:
- Harvard University, invitation to a sabbatical research leave at the Harvard law school in 2016
- Several invitations to Taiwan National Normal University, Taipei for human resource development program.
- Often long term teaching appointments for several years at several universities in Germany. For example: LMU Muenchen, Tuebingen University, Kassel University, Goettingen University, Hamburg University, Hamburg Harburg technical University and Kiel University.
Research related membership at research associations:
- Academy of Management (AOM)
- Academy of International Business (AIB)
- Australian New Zealand Management Association (ANZAM)
- Association of Japanese Business Studies (AJBS)
National (in Japan):
- Management Association (Keiei Gakkai)
- Japanese Finance and Management Association (Nihon keiei kanri kenkyu gakkai)
- Japanese Business History Association (Keiei Gakushi gakkai)